How to Unclog a Toilet | Tips from Mr. Rooter PlumbingPosted by fastekpl in Plumber Talk, on February 17, 2018
Toilet clogs tend to happen at the worst times, don’t they? When you have friends coming over for dinner, during your child’s birthday party or when you’re running late for work—all of a sudden you have a bathroom that’s “out of order” in your home. If you have a clogged toilet, you can call on your local plumber from Mr. Rooter® Plumbing anytime, 24/7 to handle the problem for you. But first, let us share a few DIY tips you might want to try. The following steps may allow you to clear up the “commode” problem on your own.
The right plunger makes the difference
Don’t use a regular cup plunger with a bell-shaped or bowl-shaped rubber suction cup and a flat bottom, usually mounted on a wood or plastic handle. These plungers are designed for flat surfaces and the bottom of your toilet bowl is not flat. Save these standard plungers for use on a sink, shower or bathtub clog. In order to make a tight seal and generate suction to clear your toilet clog, you’ll need a flange or ball plunger. This plunger will allow you to get the proper seal and vacuum action you need in the bottom of your toilet bowl to clear the toilet clog.
Clearing your clogged toilet
1. Place the plunger slowly into the backed-up water in the toilet bowl, letting air escape from the plunger body as you lower it into the water.
2. Position the plunger securely, forming a seal around the opening at the bottom of the toilet bowl.
3. Begin plunging up and down in a steady but quick motion until the water level begins to go down.
4. To make sure the clogged toilet is now clear of any obstruction, fill a gallon bucket with water and pour it slowly into the toilet bowl.
5. If the water level doesn’t go down, repeat the plunging and pouring actions again.
6. If you repeat these steps a few times, but the water level still doesn’t go down—it’s time to get some help from a professional plumber at Mr. Rooter Plumbing.
Please call us if you need us at 877-422-4826, Mr. Rooter Plumbing is ready to help! When you need help with a clogged toilet, plumbing repairs, sewer maintenance, drain cleaning or residential plumbing installation services, contact Mr. Rooter Plumbing. We’re here for emergencies 24/7.